In our 20 year history, DWO has made great strides in improving the lives of women in the Samtskhe-Javakheti region. We are proud to share some of our accomplishments in our critical areas of work, which include:
- Establishing the first regional community health clinic that specializes in women’s health in 2002. This clinic has the only mammogram machine in the region.
- Establishing the first domestic violence shelter for women in the Samtskhe-Javakheti region in 2004 (which is located in a village within the Akhaltsikhe municipality).
- Establishing a medical laboratory in 2018 to provide diagnostic screenings for communicable and non-communicable diseases.
- Helping to pass national legislation on gender equality “Law of Georgia on Gender Equality” and domestic violence “Law of Georgia on the Elimination of Domestic Violence, Protection, and Support of Victims of Domestic Violence” in collaboration with the Anti-Violence Network of Georgia.
- Ensuring that women diagnosed with cancer have all costs for care covered;
- Securing the passage of legislation that provides a municipal stipend for women when they take time off work for the birth of a child; and
- Obtaining passage of legislation that requires the municipality to cover the cost of urgent care obtained at the municipal hospital.